Sunday 14 February 2010

Potato Dauphinoise (my first atempt)

I've always fancied trying to cook Potato Dauphinoise, it is previously something which I have only had in restaurants. Anyway had my sister Tess round for dinner this evening and thought I would try it out as something different with potatoes to accompany my maple chicken drumsticks which I was already cooking. 
I googled it and came up with this recipe from the Potato Council (which I had never heard of - but figured they of all people will know what they are doing when it comes to potatoes)

To summarise this recipe in just a couple of words they would have to be naughty but delicious! Treat yourself

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Serves: 4
Oven Temperature: 180˚C, gas mark 4

Best Potato Varieties

Ingredients

 

  • 500g King Edward potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 200ml double cream
  • 100ml milk
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 50g Gruyere cheese, grated

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4
  2. Place the sliced potatoes in a bowl of cold water to prevent them from browning. Rinse then pat dry with kitchen paper.
  3. Place the cream, milk and garlic in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the potatoes, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until just tender. Season well.
  4. Transfer to a buttered ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
 

 


    2 comments:

    1. Lady, if you've never eaten Potato Dauphinoise in any restaurant you've eaten at - then you're goin' to the wrong restaurants.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi, I had of course eaten them at restaurants - they're super yummy! When I said I wanted to try them for the first time I meant make them for the first time :)

      ReplyDelete