Friday 4 December 2009

Tagine Chicken Korma (of sorts)

So for tonight's meal I am going to use the following ingredients along with my new favourite cooking device, my Moroccan Tagine, to a Chicken Korma. Or at least something which vaguely resembles one!

Ingredients (to serve 2-3 people):

4 cardamom pods
2cm cube of fresh ginger grated
3 large
chicken breasts
1 onion
1 small can of coconut cream
Korma curry paste (to taste) - I h
ave used two
heaped
teaspoons
1/2 small pot of
single cream (284ml pot)
1 tsp of sugar





OK – first things first – very very important when you use a tagine that A. you prepare it as per instructions before starting to use it for the first time and B. that you always always use a heat diffuser such as the one above otherwise your tagine will simply crack and will be useless as a result. (N.B. this advice is specifically for traditional Moroccan tagines).


So on your hob place the diffuser and then the base of the tagine. Add a good swig of olive oil and put the heat just above medium. (I put it on no. 8 but everyone’s hob is different so go with what you think)

Let it heat up a little and
then add your onion, sliced quite finely...

Then add your grated ginger and 4 cardamom pods and stir well... 
Then add your raw diced chicken breasts…. (I usually cut them using kitchen scissors, straight into the pan)...
Stir and cook until your chicken is cooked through....
Stir in the small can of coconut cream and two heaped teaspoons of the korma curry paste....

.... and half a pot of cream. Stir in well.

Then bring up to the boil - gently and then place on the tagine lid and turn the heat right down (for me I turned it down to no.2)
.... Leave cooking for at least half an hr.....

.... remember to keep tasting the sauce..... add seasoning to taste....
I added a teaspoon of sugar after coming back after the first half hour after taste testing but this is a personal thing - so go with your gut... add a little of what you think the dish needs and then taste test again....
The whole nature of tagine cooking is for long periods to enhance the flavour fully... so you can leave this cooking as long as you like really... the longer you cook it the more flavour it will have! :)

Serve with rice…. And naan bread if you have it…..


The method I got for cooking rice is an amazing fail safe method which I got from a wonderful lady called June when I was temping in a local school…
I usually cook rice in large batches and then freeze in portions and reheat in the microwave when I need it….


Please find June’s method below….

You know considering that was the first attempt at that recipe – I can honestly say its one of the yummiest Kormas I’ve ever had. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Please send me any questions or comments – I’m fascinated to hear what you think to my first proper post!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02 December 2012

Since I first posted this recipe I have played around with it. I don't always use cream now but rather coconut milk along with coconut cream for a bit of a healthier option.

I also tend to put in either kale or spinach to add some more texture near the end along with raisins and sliced almonds, these all work really well.

And I tend to use left over roast chicken/turkey as it gives much more flavour and texture to the dish.

Here is a photo of a recent version:

No comments:

Post a Comment