Saturday 31 December 2011

My first attempt at Cranberry Sauce (adapted from Nigella)

Can't actually believe I haven't tried to make this before, and can't believe that anyone buys the ready made stuff now I know how easy it is to make!

It makes a really great addition to Christmas hamper presents as well.

I used Nigella's recipe below as my guide, but had to work out the measurements as I had bought 3 small crates of cranberries so I had to work it on percentages, but it seemed to work fine. I also didn't have any Cherry Brandy so I just used regular brandy in its place. Preserving really is one of the most therapeutic and satisfying pass times and cranberries are the most beautiful festive colour too, I imagine even more so if you have picked the fruit yourself, that is my challenge for next year.... Anyway here is the recipe and the photos below:

Ingredients

  • Nigella Recipe
  • Vegetarian
  • 1 x 340g pack fresh cranberries
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 45ml cherry brandy
  • 75ml water

Method

Serves: 8-10
  1. Put everything into a pan and let it bubble away until the berries start to pop,stirring every now and again with a wooden spoon. This will take about 10minutes.
  2. The one thing you should bear in mind, though, is that the pectin-rich nature of the fruit means it solidifies enormously on cooling, so although it will be cooked when the berries have burst, it will still look runnier than you think cranberry sauce should.
  3. At this stage, give the sauce a final, vicious, whipping stir to help crush the berries into the liquid, and taste – making sure not to burn your mouth – to check whether it needs more sugar; if you find it too sweet, which is unlikely,just spritz in some lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
  4. If you cook this sauce way in advance, it will jellify a lot so thrash it through with a fork before serving.
MAKE AHEAD TIP:
Make the sauce up to 1 week ahead. Cover and keep in the fridge. Stir well before serving.
FREEZE AHEAD TIP:
Make and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight at room temperature. Stir well before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment