Wednesday 24 November 2010

Lamb Steaks with Port Gravy and Greek Potatoes (adapted from Nigella's Lamb with rosemary and port)

Ok so this recipe is majorly inspired by Nigella's Lamb with rosemary and port and this is where I got the idea from when I was sitting watching Nigella's latest TV show "Kitchen" a couple of months ago.

Here is the only version I can find of this recipe online - but it is also printed in her new book "Kitchen"

So when I first came to cook it, I only had internet on my phone still - as we have just moved house. I tried looking for it online there but it was so slow and maddening and my copy of her book was yet to arrive so I decided to do it from memory. I added some ingredients and equally took some away as a result but my version has quickly become a household favourite served with my Greek potatoes.

I have since got the book and tried the actual recipe and whilst it is very nice indeed I still prefer my version so I decided to post it so you can decide your conclusion too....


Ingredients



Two lamb leg steaks
A spoonful of onion chutney
A good splash of port
A small onion
2 cloves of garlic

(NB. for some reason these photos don't want to upload the right way up)

Method


Firstly chop up your onion and garlic together nice and small. I used my lovely new Nigella mezzaluna (photographed above here) which really does make light work of this task as you can see below:

Next just fry off in a flat/ frying pan with a little olive oil. Then add your lamb....
cook on both sides until just coloured and then package up in a tin foil package and leave to sit until needed. (NB. This is an excellent tip straight from Nigella which means that your meat doesn't over cook and remains nice and tender, this method also works very well with beef steak too.)


Make sure your tin foil package is fully sealed though to make sure none of the heat escapes.

Add your port and onion chutney to the pan and stir until thickened.

Unwrap your steak packages, empty any gathered juices into the gravy and mix in. Then serve by placing your lamb steaks on a plate, added some Greek potatoes. and pour over some delicious port gravy. Enjoy! 

(I will add a photo of the final dish next time I cook it)

No comments:

Post a Comment